Watch: Chef Candice Kumai Shares Delicious & Healthy Recipes on ‘Latifah’
Along with her Heirloom Roasted Corn Flatbread, Chocolate Peanut Butter Monster Drink, Lemon Edamame Barley Salad, and a Grapefruit Avocado Quinoa Salad, she also brought some tasty and cleansing green drink recipes from new book Clean Green Drinks.
Watch Chef Candice whip up these healthy meals and check out a couple of recipes to try below.
Heirloom and Roasted Corn Flatbread
Makes 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced, preferably on a mandoline
- 1 ear of roasted corn (optional)
- 1 cup fresh heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh heirloom or cherry , halved
- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough (gluten-free pizza dough works as well!)
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt to taste
- 3 ounces chèvre (goat cheese)
- 1 cup arugula
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over a low heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is golden, about 20 minutes. (*If using roasted corn, continue. If not, skip to pizza dough step below). Add a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sea salt to the corn ear. Place over a medium open flame, a minute or two on each side, turning using tongs. Roast all sides evenly, with slight charring and color. Cool the corn. On a clean cutting board, shave the kernels off using a sharp knife.
Roll out the pizza dough with a touch of flour, if needed and place it on a large baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer the flatbread to a large platter and brush it with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Top with the onions, roasted corn, tomatoes, arugula, chèvre cheese and enjoy! Clean Green Pizza!
The Chocolate Peanut Butter Monster
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 frozen banana
- 1⁄2 Bartlett pear, cored
- 2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
- 1 scoop pea protein (optional)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup ice
Add ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.