‘Fruitvale Station’ Opens Strong, Cracks Top Ten at Weekend Box Office
The steady roll out for Fruitvale Station proved to be just right as the movie entered this weekend’s box office at #10.
Opening nationwide in a little more than 1,000 theaters, the Ryan Coogler-directed film grossed $4,657,000 (over $6 million to date).
The critically-acclaimed feature, which stars Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz, and Octavia Spencer, won big at both Sundance and Cannes film festivals this year, while Coogler was honored by the Sundance Institute this spring.
Produced by Forest Whitaker, the movie depicts the last few days in the life of 22-year-old Oscar Grant, who was shot and killed by a BART police officer in 2009.
See the full top ten box office earnings below.
1) The Wolverine Fox $55,000,000
2) The Conjuring WB $22,130,000 Total: $83,867,000
3) Despicable Me 2 Uni. $16,024,000 Total: $306,413,00
4) Turbo Fox $13,325,000 Total: $55,768,000
5) Grown Ups 2 Sony $11,500,000 Total: $101,664,000
6) Red 2 LG/S $9,400,000 Total: $35,074,000
7) Pacific Rim WB $7,540,000 Total: $84,026,000
8) The Heat Fox $6,850,000 Total: $141,245,000
9) R.I.P.D. Uni. $5,857,000 Total: $24,352,000
10) Fruitvale Station Wein. $4,657,000 Total: $6,339,000