‘Avengers’ Tops Weekend Box Office for Third Week in a Row, Batteship Sinks
The Avengers has managed to remain in the #1 spot at the weekend box office by bringing in a total of $55.1 million. This brings the film to a total of $457.1 million in the United States and $1.18 billion worldwide. As Disney‘s best showing ever, Avengers is also being called the #4 movie of all time. Overseas, it has earned $723.3 million.
Rihanna‘s debut film Battleship was expected to enter the box office within the $35 million to $40 million range but it sadly fell flat, pulling in a total of $23.5 million this weekend. Luckily the film is doing very well overseas and has $226.8 million worldwide so far.
However the movie might not clear $70 million or $80 million over the long haul domestically, resulting in a notable loss for Universal and sparking plenty of Monday-morning quarterbacking within the studio about what went wrong.
Take a look at the rest of the top 10 which also features the newly released The Dictator as well as What to Expect When You’re Expecting below.
1. The Avengers $55.1 million
2. Battleship $25.3 million
3. The Dictator $17.4 million
4. Dark Shadows $12.8 million
5. What to Expect When You’re Expecting $10.5 million
6. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel $3.3 million
7. The Hunger Games $3 million
8. Think Like a Man $2.7 million
9. The Lucky One $1.8 million
10. The Pirates! Band of Misfits $1.5 million